We are pleased to bring you this month’s member of the month. Shannon Young has been nothing less then awesome since joining Northlake. We have watched her push really hard to lift weight that she should not be able to lift (so you would think!) Shannon signed up for the CrossFit Open this year and has approached each workout head on. Thanks Shannon for being such a great member!
1: Where are you from originally?
2. What is your favorite WOD/movement?
- A Chipper
- Back Squats
3. What is your least favorite WOD/ Movement?
4. What were you doing before CrossFit? How did you hear about CrossFit and/ CrossFit Northlake?
Dancing and zumba
Last Thanksgiving I was sitting on the couch after having a huge turkey meal with my family and the news covered the story of Christmas Abbott training to be a NASCAR pit crew member. She looked so great and strong that I googled her and discovered she was into Crossfit, which I had never heard of. I googled my zip code and Crossfit, and there was Crossfit Northlake. I said I have to check this out!
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit? My husband Trip runs and our 4 year old son TJ takes swim and Taekwondo lessons.
6. How many times per week do you CrossFit?
7. What is your athletic background?
- I started ballet at age 4 and danced regularly until college, took a long break, then picked back up a variety of dance styles and classes over the years.
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
- OMG – I think I am going to die! Then 10 minutes later a huge burst of energy that I loved! I was intimidated by the weights at first, but Amy was very encouraging.
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Northlake memories/moments?
- The first time I was able to do a box jump was awesome – there were three of us that all tried it together, unsure whether we’d make it or not, and we did! And, every time I go. The people are great, it’s inspiring to watch others set new PR’s, and especially fun to watch Jason and Amy in the Open right now.
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Northlake?
- Enjoy the training bar while you canJ The results come fast, and push yourself, because you can do more than you think you can, it’s amazing how much more.
11. What is your eating style? Paleo is the way to go! I try to follow a paleo diet pretty closely because I love the results and the way I feel.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake? I’ve dropped 3 pant sizes in 3 months and am back into my pre-baby clothes (4 years later, haha)! I also feel stronger, healthier and more energized.
13. What do you do for a living?
- I manage the Donor Relations Department for United Way – we partner with 87 local charities that provide help to 352,000 people each year.
14. What drive you to be an active family?
- My son started doing push-ups because he said he saw Mommy doing them at the gym – that’s my inspiration. Trip and I want to be good role models for TJ, and we feel better and its fun.